Windows Live Movie Maker
Software for Windows that allows you to make and edit movies on your desktop
- Category Editors
- Program license Free
- Version 2012 16.4.3505.912
- Size 1.2 MB
- Works under: Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista
- Program available in English
- Program by Microsoft Corporation
Windows Live Movie Maker is a quick and easy way to turn your videos and photos into a movie that gives you the capability to share with anyone you would like, at the low price of free.
As easy as dragging and dropping photos and video footage, you can create your movie using a storyboard style user interface.
History of Windows Live Movie Maker
Even though it is the successor to the Windows Movie Maker, Windows Live Movie Maker was developed as a bundled application for Windows 7, and is available to be downloaded for free.
- The ability to record voiceovers
- Audio mixer
- Several free stock music choices
- The defaults export format is H.264/MP4
- Vimeo upload compatible
- Windows 8 users can use the hardware accelerated video stabilization
- AutoMovie Button – automatically adds in titles, transitions, and effects once you drag and drop your files into place.
- User interface is split between a full-feature ribbon toolbar, a video preview pane, and a content pane.
Supported image and video files
- WMV (Windows Media Video)
- Windows Media
- Motion JPEG
- Microsoft Recorded TV Show
If you are a Windows 7 user you can also use:
- QuickTime MOV and QT files
- MPEG-4 video formats
- When choosing DVD from the “sharing” option, the WMV files is automatically sent over to the Windows DVD Maker.
- Reformatted timeline function
- Interface can be resized to give more viewing to the window preview or the timeline
- Single click option application
- Separate brightness controls
- Simple controls for general features
- Trimming clips has its own window rather than having to work with truncating them on the timeline.
- Mobile-phone friendly formats available
- Standard or Wide-Screen HD formats available
- System often fails to recognize AVCHD clips
- System sometimes fails to import footage straight from cameras
- Always exports at 30fps
- Always exports in WMV
- Does not function when developing European video cameras, which use PAL and 25fps
- Does not use multi-tracked timelines for editing
- Controls may be bunched up at the top of the screen in the toolbar ribbon, depending on the size of your screen.
- In order to see all the effects, users have to scroll through many pages.
- Have to add plugins to upload to YouTube or Facebook
As free software Windows Live Movie Maker is created for a user that does the casual movie creation. Its basic function allows users to turn their photos and video clips into a movie or slideshow and export them in various formats for sharing. However, when installing the software, be sure to notice that it comes in a suite package, which means there are a lot of extra apps added into the program bundle, requiring you to uncheck a variety of boxes to keep the applications from being downloaded along with Windows Live Movie Maker.
If you are into making quick movies easily, then Windows Live Movie Maker hits its mark every time. There are not a lot of advanced tools and techniques for this software, but even the most basic technology users can figure out this software and use it easily. The AutoMovie button is handy if you are pressed for time when making the movie and do not really care what effects, transitions, and music are added to your film.
In comparison to previous editions, Windows Live Movie Maker has better sharing options, even allowing for your movie to be e-mailed.